[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt Start Up RS-232 Communications Glitch

Didier Juges shalimr9 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 00:03:34 UTC 2018

Not sure what you refer to. I have made a large number of
microcontroller-based Thunderbolt monitor kits and they do not have that
issue.
In any event, a problem like this cannot be the fault of the Thunderbolt,
all it does is send data. It's up to the receiver to process it, including
properly picking up data mid-stream.

As Dave pointed out, if you are using USB-serial adapters and a PC, all
bets are off. There are many substandard devices in that category.
My personal preference is for the Silabs CP210x series and the Chinese
CH340/341. Stay away from the Prolific and FTDI parts unless you know
exactly what you are getting. They have been extensively cloned with
extremely poor quality parts and the legitimate vendors have mangled up
their drivers in order to try and prevent the clones from working with
those (and in some cases intentionally trying to damage the device), the
net result being a total mess of unreliable parts and software.