[time-nuts] wwvb antenna transmission Well harder then I might think.

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 01:59:43 UTC 2018

Alex
Funny you bring up the loop antenna. Thats definitely one of the answers I
ran across. Though I was trying to avoid the wire loop.
But that said actually what I need to drive can be quite a small loop so
maybe the right answer.
Along those lines I need to look at the driving Z. Sort of thinking 600
ohms may be useful and shielded pair to carry the rf to the loop. It
doesn't have to be a 50 ohm system at 60 KHz.
Thanks
Paul

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 9:43 PM, Alex Pummer <alex at pcscons.com> wrote:

> by making a loop around the territory, on which you would like to receive
> the signal, inside of that loop you will have a very decent reception
> without using to high transmit power  a 100' x 200' area could be covered
> with 100mW,  since the wave length of the used low frequencies is multiple
> of the length of the loop length , therefore the current in the loop is
> constant along the loop.  The polarization will be changed, the magnetic
> component will be vertical -- the  original wwb field had horizontal
> magnetic, therefor the ferrite loop stick  of the clock -- which is now
> horizontal -- shall be turned vertical. The described loop will not provide
> any substantial field outside the loop, and it will not interfere with the
> original wwb  horizontal magnetic component transmission. The field outside
> of the loop diminishes very fast therefore it does not constitutes any
> problem with the surrounding area. I designed signal transmission system,
> which is working for the last thirty something years.
>
> 73
>
> Alexander Pummer
>

> On 9/6/2018 6:05 PM, Dana Whitlow wrote:
>
>> Paul,
>>
>> You really don't want to be building an antenna that radiates energy,
>> which
>> is a far-field
>> concept.  In your case, at 30 ft range, you're so far inside the near
>> field
>> that all the
>> antenna articles in the world won't help, since they address radiating
>> into
>> the far field.
>> That's what WWVB needs to do, but not you.  I think what you want to do is
>> use a loop
>> that is no larger than your house, preferably smaller, and push enough
>> power into it
>> to achieve your range goal (but not any further).
>>
>> Dana
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 6:21 PM paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Working on the wwvb simulator and it works really well. On to the last
>>> piece. Transmission over maybe 30 ft.
>>> Ever notice everyone that makes a simulator has the clock on top?
>>> Well thats because its pretty hard to get a 60 KHz signal actually out.
>>> Even though I know loopsticks are not great transmit antennas that was
>>> the
>>> first attempt. Hey what they say is true, Bad.
>>> Next will be the loose wire over the distance. More likely a spare phone
>>> wire pair that runs all over the house.
>>> Just some humor.
>>> I have found a ton of online articles on vlf antennas and such. Heck
>>> seems
>>> like its time to read them.
>>> Regards
>>> Paul