[time-nuts] Lost GPS lock or 1PPS recently?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Sep 8 15:35:25 UTC 2018

Hi

I believe the 50 ns is the “as transmitted” signal from the tower. The “as received” signal after going
through all the various gyrations is not that good on a  ~1 second basis.

====

One of the gotchas here is that we lump “systems” into one giant bag. That’s not a good way
to analyze things. One system may be quite happy with 10 ms timing another may be happy
with 10 us and yet another may die completely at 1 us and only run right at 100 ns. All of that
is on a 2 second basis for CDMA (they time every other second).

By far the biggest / baddest / most venerable system out the that uses GPS timing is the
cell tower system. They started out back in the 80’s with a 10us max timing / 1 us running
spec on CDMA. AFIK they were the first major system to adopt GPS time as their reference
(rather than UTC).

This worked out fine for a few decades while companies got a lot of towers built. People started
using those systems and they became congested. Others started streaming video over them
and they ran out of bandwidth. Upgrades followed. There have been a lot of them. Much of what
we TimeNuts buy on the surplus market comes to us as a result of older systems being scrapped
out.

The latest set of upgrades does / will / is getting them into the sub 1 us range at the end of holdover.
In normal operation they are spec’d at 100 ns worst case. To do that, you need a timing source in
the roughly 10 ns range. No you don’t see those GPSDO’s on the surplus market. You will see
them someday ….

Again, they went this way a decade ago. Rolling that all back …. not at all easy.

Are there other systems that have issues with sync? Of course there are. There also are a lot
of instances where miss-configuration ( or junk implementation) is a much bigger issue. Sorting
that all out requires a deep dive into the timing of each individual system / implementation.  No
two systems do things quite the same way. Unless you want to deal with the numbers and the
implementation details, simply moaning and groaning isn’t going anywhere.

Bob