[time-nuts] Can eloran Backup GPS?

Bob Martin aphid1 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 8 17:40:48 UTC 2018

Bob,

  I agree that eloran needs to be analyzed with regard to it's
usefulness for each potential application. You are also 100% correct
that timing requirements get tighter and tighter as technology
advances.  In some ways the question isn't whether eloran can
match GPS but rather would it suffice in a pinch were GPS to go down?

I think the 50ns accuracy is actually "as received" not "as
transmitted".

The link below is an analysis of eloran in Great Britain. The
receiver/transmitter distance was  300 miles.

http://www.ursanav.com/wp-content/uploads/On-the-Uses-of-High-Accuracy-eLoran-Time-Frequency-and-Phase-2015.pdf

I've attached a screen capture of one of the pages that compares
eloran  with GPS in case anyone is interested. This is where it
appears that the 50ns is received as opposed to at the transmitter.

Best,

Bob Martin