[time-nuts] Lost GPS lock or 1PPS recently?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Sep 8 18:25:30 UTC 2018

Hi

> On Sep 8, 2018, at 1:53 PM, Scott McGrath <scmcgrath at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is precisely the scenario even a short GPS blackout of 1-2 weeks would cause.   Its not that GPS is not the finest time transfer system ever devised.   Its that with the loss of legacy systems we’ve lost the ability to degrade gracefully.

How will the presence of a “backup” system that in no way at all interconnects with a cell tower have any
effect at all on it’s performance with loss of GPS ??? The legacy system (which does not even exist)
has *zero* impact in this case.

> With a eLORAN system cell networks during a prolonged outage would probably degrade to 3G,

Except that they have no way at all to do that. They simply are not designed that way and can not function
that way. The systems that *could* function at lower timing tolerance all got scrapped out long ago. That
of course *assumes* that eLoran can deliver < 100 ns timing. Is there any data to support that ?

Do any members have data on the 1 second timing out of eLoran? We’re about as deep into it as any
group not working for the eLoran people. If we haven’t seen any performance data …. I kinda doubt
anybody else has.

>  but they would still be up.   No you cant stream HD video or play GTA Online X,  but talk,text email and Facebook would still work Time transfer for most applications would still work.  The HFT boyos on Wall St would be SOL.  Not sure how to evaluate that eventuality.
>

> People like US need to educate political and business leadership on the need for BACKUPS to GPS

The reason the systems are designed just with GPS is *not* because “nobody mentioned the need
for a backup”. There are indeed people out there who spent a lot of time talking about this with the
guys who designed and spec’d these systems. The very simple answer *always* came back:

1) There is no alternative out there

2) There is not FCC requirement to do so = cost is not justified

3) There is absolutely zero demonstrated need

That’s very much three strikes you’re out.

Bob