[time-nuts] Lars GPSDO on EEVblog

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sun Sep 9 00:29:36 UTC 2018

Jim wrote:

> I have modified the circuit to use a simple 2 ma current source as
> shown in the attached schematic, with significantly improved linearity.
>
> The diode-connected 2N3904
> has less leakage at a small forward voltage than any small-signal diodes
> I tested

Generally, one uses the B-C junction rather than the B-E junction for
this, because (i) being a smaller junction (in most small-signal BJTs),
it has less leakage than the B-E junction, and (ii) it has a much higher
reverse breakdown voltage than the ~5v breakdown of the B-E junction
(NB: the B-E junction is degraded with even very brief operation in the
breakdown region).

According to my tests, the B-C junction of a high-quality 2N3904 has
about 50pA of leakage at 20vDC reverse voltage.  Mid-high-frequency
small signal NPNs (eg. MPSH10, 2N5179) have about 5pA of leakage under
the same conditions, and the very small-geometry 2N4117/PN4117 JFET gate
diode has about 1pA of leakage.  The HF BJTs and the FET also switch
faster than the 2N3904, with less transfer of glitch energy.

Some time ago, I posted the results of my leakage tests of small-signal
diodes, BJT B-C junctions, and JFET gate junctions.  Those results are
attached.

This has all been known for a very long time.  See, for example,
Burr-Brown Application Bulletin AB-064 (a/k/a TI SBOA058),
Diode-Connected FET Protects Op-Amps (1994) regarding the 2N4117A gate
junction <http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sboa058/sboa058.pdf>.

Best regards,

Charles