[time-nuts] Can eloran Backup GPS?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Sep 9 15:01:15 UTC 2018

Hi

> On Sep 9, 2018, at 10:43 AM, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> On 9/8/18 4:52 PM, paul swed wrote:
>> Hello to the group I won't quote figures here but did indeed help UrsaNav
>> do testing. Hey 90 days with a HP 5071 that was a sweet deal at the cost of
>> some power.
>> They do send corrective data in the signal from reference sites and that
>> helps propagation corrections in the receive software.
>> It was impressive and even in buildings no less. Its been a while so thats
>> why I don't want to quote figures.
>> I sort of thought all of this would have been resolved by now. But nope not
>> until the S.. hits the fan and finger pointing starts.
>> I do know the other satellite system lightspeed? is trying to become an
>> alternate.
>> Regards
>> Paul
>> WB8TSL
>

> But here's the problem - if "the network" is wiped out, how do you send the correction information?
>
> I suppose you could have a low rate network (i.e. not "the internet") and for the most part, the propagation corrections (whether using 60kHz, Loran, Omega, or GPS) can be done with "climatology" - time of day and time of year.
>
> BUT - if we're talking about a Carrington event or similar, a series of high altitude nuclear bursts

Actually, nuclear war *is* one of the things GPS is designed to withstand …. it still is very much a
military system. The same thing is true of the Russian system and one would guess, the Chinese
as well.

Pretty much none of the systems that use fancy timing information are designed to survive a nuclear
conflict. I would suggest that’s not a really big deal. Just as with super crazy solar events, many of us will
not survive it either. For those who do survive, far more basic things will be top priorities.  Sure glad this
is on topic for TimeNuts …

Bob