[time-nuts] Programmable clock for BFO use....noise

ed breya eb at telight.com
Sat Sep 15 00:03:26 UTC 2018

Rick said:
"The trouble with a DDS is that you need a microcontroller with software
just to baby sit the thing."

Yes, I know what you mean. I wouldn't want to go through all that. I'm
picturing more like the small, cheap DDS boards that show up on ebay.
Maybe the right stuff could be found that can stand alone, for maybe a
tenth the cost of a custom crystal or XO.

I've always been kind of frustrated with not being able to readily use
most of the cool new technologies in ICs, due to the SMT packaging, and
the need for programming them via serial ports. I have saved a number of
comparatively old-school, obsolete DDS and PLL devices, because they are
parallel controlled, and can be hard-wired for fixed or limited functions.

Also, speaking of PLLs, maybe that would be the way to go for the OP -
depending on the particular frequencies needed, and the resulting
complexity of the divider(s).

Ed