[time-nuts] Programmable clock for BFO use....noise

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Sep 16 15:48:29 UTC 2018

Hi

Coming back to the basics of the design:

If you are playing with a normal radio, a BFO that drifts under a few Hertz is
going to be pretty much un-noticable. Drift is a bit of an elastic term in this case
since it can cover a bunch of different parameters on an oscillator (temperature
as things warm up / aging / retrace / voltage stability ….).

For fun, lets say that 25.3 Hz over a day and 5C is “adequate” for the task. Oddly
enough this makes the math easy. 25.3 Hz / 253 KHz = 1 / 10,000 = 100 ppm.

A crystal that drifts  1 ppm / C is not a super duper part at room temperature. Over
our 5C range, that’s only 5 ppm. It would have to be 10X worse to really eat into
our budget.

Aging / warmup / retrace wise, a crystal that moves a couple ppm in the first day
is moving a lot. Again not a big hit to our budget.

Voltage stability on a properly designed circuit with a normal voltage regulator should
be very small compared to the budget. Maybe it’s a ppm, probably less.

Bottom line - the crystal likely is doing >10X better than what our arbitrary spec would
require. That’s why a lot of radios do just fine with an L/C based BFO.

For even more fun, take a look at the likely drift of the mechanical filters involved. They
are not going to be as stable as the crystal ….. Even a crystal filter at 250KHz isn’t
going to be as stable as the AT cut based evaluation above.

Bob