[time-nuts] Noise of digital frequency circuits (was: Programmable clock for BFO use....noise)

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 21:33:55 UTC 2018

I'd been thinking, in an admittedly non-rigorous sort of way, about this
matter for some years.

As I see it, it is certainly true that the phase of an oscillator's output
is a continuous funciton
of time.  It could be described as a continuous ramp, whose slope
corresponds to the frequency,
and with a little bit of non-flat random noise superimposed on it.

Now if you square up the waveform and do digital things with it (such as
freq dividing, digital
phase detection, etc), you are really only glimpsing the phase noise at
transition times, and
are blind in between.  Thus the very process amounts to sampling the phase
noise waveform
with a sampling phase detector.  This view suggests that all the phase
noise power is aliased
and folded  back into the band ranging from DC to Fsamp / 2, where Fsamp is
the frequency
of the waveform after frequency division.  This is why the time domain
jitter of the oscillator's
waveform is unchanged by "perfect" frequency division (or multiplication).

It is why I wonder about the wisdom of doing phase comparison at
unnecessarily low frequency-
all that noise would seem to be scrunched down into a bandwidth of half the
comparison frequency.

Does this explanation help, and how does it sit with those of  you who have
more expertise
than I?

Dana