[time-nuts] XKCD on time :)

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 28 14:04:49 UTC 2018

On 9/28/18 6:16 AM, Eric Scace wrote:
> Which, if I recall correctly, was the system used in Japan immediately before the adoption of Western time methods. Each day’s interval between sunrise-sunset was divided into a six units… so, in comparison with an absolute scale, the absolute duration of each unit of time varied from day to day and location to location.
>
> More details here <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_clock>.

and in the Middle East, as well - There were even fancy watches made
that automatically compensated given the date, so sunrise is at 6,
midday at noon and sunset at 6.

I wrote some software to drive a 3325 via GPIB which in turn drove a
battery wall clock to do this (that project started out as a "mars time"
clock..)  Kind of a waste of time (is such a thing possible on
time-nuts?) but it was an interesting problem to take a "tick per
second" analog indicator and turn it into what is essentially an
"arbitrary rate clock".  You could also use it to make a "where is the
mooon or mars" indicator.