[time-nuts] A silly question ...

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 15:30:26 UTC 2018

Hi,

There is one other issue that can bite you if you fail to properly
terminate the output of a source:

Depending on the source's design, an essentially unloaded output
can have a substantially higher voltage swing than expected (by
2X if the source impedance is actually 50 ohms), possibly leading
to the output stage's going into clipping, which can in turn distort
the timing, possibly even in an unstable manner.
So if you want to play the "unterminated game", at least take a
look at the waveform to be sure it's still a clean sinewave.  I've
noticed such distortion on my PRS-10, for example, although I've
seen no evidence of unstable timing results.  But in this arena,
it generally pays to be fussy.

Dana Whitlow