[time-nuts] A silly question ...

Tom Curlee tcurlee at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 27 21:30:27 UTC 2018

This is assuming that your oscilloscope is set at 100 nS/DIV.  My Tek 2465A will sweep at 5 nS/DIV normally, and 500 pS/DIV when the sweep is set to X10.  If I'm figuring correctly, this will allow 1e-12 in 432 seconds.  I use a stop watch to time the zero crossings of the sine wave - something like:

Assuming the wave moved 5 divisions in 185 seconds:   (500 pS * 5 DIV)/185 seconds = 13.5e-12 ppm.    (I think this is correct.  tvb?)

Since a 10 MHz sine wave tends to look like a flat line at 500 pS/DIV, I often set the vertical V/DIV to 2 mV/DIV.

Tom