[time-nuts] WWVB Disciplined Oscillator

Kevin Croissant kevin at kevincroissant.com
Sun Apr 7 03:17:12 UTC 2019

Hi Wayne,

Great to see you found my presentation!
The paper is available here:
https://www.kevincroissant.com/WWVB/WWVB_PTTI_2018_paper.pdf
I traveled to CO and met with NIST people there and gathered more data
then. We're planning to put out another paper soon (I'm finishing up my
bachelor's right now so I'm a bit preoccupied though).
I think LF timing is still very relevant in this day and age, and WWVB
still shows promise as a national timing source.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Best,
Kevin

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 10:00 PM paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wayne good read on the paper.
> All of the spectracoms and such were rendered useless by the new BPSK
> modulation. Though now that 5 years or so have passed not so new. Unless
> the modulation is accounted for they can't track the carrier. There are
> external modifications and other approaches that have been suggested. I
> have design and tested numbers of them with a final approach using the
> cheat'n d-psk-r. Won't go into that as its been shared here on time-nuts
> enough. A lot depends on your location and signal strength. Clearly taking
> advantage of the new modulation for carrier prediction has advantage. But
> the fact is even I am now spoiled by GPSDOs.
> I also built a far simplere approach called a remodulator for simply
> allowing the spectracoms to get time. They are nice displays. Not sure you
> can get even those piece parts any longer.
> Regards
> Paul
> WB8TSL
>
> On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 8:00 PM Wayne Holder <wayne.holder at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps this has been mention before, but I found the following document
> > while researching some details on WWVB and thought it might interest the
> > group:
> >
> >   https://www.kevincroissant.com/WWVB/WWVB_PTTI_2018.pdf
> >
> > I know that Spectracom once made a WWVB Disciplined Oscillator in the
> form
> > of the Model 8164, but I figured that this approach probably was obsolete
> > in the era of GPS and network-based time. However, the author seems to
> have
> > produced some interesting results.  Has anyone else built, or tried to
> > build a WWVB Disciplined Oscillator?
> >
> > Wayne

Kevin Croissant