[time-nuts] WWVB Disciplined Oscillator

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 13:54:10 UTC 2019

Wayne, there was a superb 2015 QEX article by KD2BD on his WWVB disciplined
frequency standard. Full article is online here:
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX_Next_Issue/2015/Nov-Dec_2015/Magliacane.pdf

As a frequency standard I have no major disagreement with the PTTI article.
But the 100 microsecond number they give for absolute time transfer seems
to be based entirely on propagation characteristics and ignores the
difficulty I've always had in resolving the mushy edge of the timecode
pulses. 100 microseconds implies a system bandwidth of 10kHz, which is
pointless because the transmitter antenna bandwidth has to be quite narrow
- hundreds of Hz if not less.

Tim N3QE