[time-nuts] Garmin GPS12XL V3.51

Adrian Godwin artgodwin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 06:56:07 UTC 2019

The references I found in those archived postings explain that the problem
was that the GPS receiver had been 'fixed' in 2011 but that the fix only
worked until 2015. The solution was to replace the receiver.

I wasn't able to find any discussion of why the fix lasted such a short
time, but it seems far too short to be due to variation in the rate of leap
second insertions.

Assuming that the reason for that algorithm's failure is correct though, it
implies that leap second insertion rate might vary by at least 13
insertions in 20 years in order that an estimate of week counter cycles
produced from leap second count would be wrong.

This carries a further implication that the 7 bit count of leap seconds
will last not for 175 years but half that or perhaps worse. Or, if the
problem is with a lower than assumed rate of insertions, better.

How much variation in the rate of leap second insertion is there?