[time-nuts] Query about NRL Canvas source?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 27 14:52:59 UTC 2019

On 4/27/19 5:31 AM, AC0XU (Jim) wrote:
> Does anyone know how to obtain the NRL Canvas (clock analsis) software?  The widely published link
>
> https://goby.nrl.navy.mil/canvas/
>
> appears to be broken. Thanks!

You could always email Ken Senior at NRL and ask him.

ken.senior at nrl.navy.mil

A bit of browsing around shows that NRL has somewhat reorganized since
the CANVAS paper was published in 2005 (there's no Space Applications
Branch any more, for instance), and the "download open source software"
function may have been centralized in some sort of "US government" portal.

The distribution mechanism moves around at JPL and NASA, I see no reason
why it wouldn't also occur at NRL - and in none of these cases is it
trivial to find. For some reason, they set up websites and assume people
will know that's the URL by magic, since it doesn't always get indexed
by Google.

for instance https://code.nasa.gov/ purports to be a repository of NASA
open source software, but there's plenty of other places to go look.