[time-nuts] TCXO improvement

Bill Slade slade_bill at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 2 08:18:39 UTC 2019

Hello!
I have done this and can attest that it works well.  I did not use a TCXO, though.  I used a 48 MHz, third-overtone AT-cut crystal in a Colpitts oscillator configuration.  The vacuum flask was ovenized to maintain temperature near the stationary point of the temp characteristic (near 50 deg C).   The oscillator could be phase locked to an external atomic reference (in our case, a rubidium) or 10 MHz from a GPS receiver.

The inspiration was a couple of excellent NASA reports from some years ago, which I have attached (as links because files are large) for convenience.
Cheers,
Bill
Nasa Precision Quartz 1<https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=3CBCA1CF8AB21FE1&resid=3CBCA1CF8AB21FE1%213504&authkey=AA4EqyT05-Iz2nU&em=2>
Nasa Precision Quartz 2<https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=3CBCA1CF8AB21FE1&resid=3CBCA1CF8AB21FE1%213505&authkey=AEG_NqxtMFVIE_o&em=2>