[time-nuts] Serial or other simple protocols for exchanging time

Gary Chatters gcarlistaa at garychatters.com
Thu Aug 8 02:17:30 UTC 2019

If I understand correctly, your Arduino based device is generating the
time code to send to your computer.

In the past I have used GPS NMEA messages and IRIG-B for data
acquisition time stamps.  I considered SMPTE, but it did not look useful.

I would expect that making your Arduino device look like a GPS receiver
outputting NMEA messages and a PPS signal would be about the simplest
approach you could take.  It has the advantage that there is existing
software to deal with the messages, including NTP drivers.

IRIG-B has the advantages that it has a lower bit rate and only requires
one signal line.  I looked at NTP source code and there is a driver for
IRIG-B (and E) using 1 kHz modulation.

Two questions come to mind:

- How is your Arduino going to get time?

- What is the computer going to do with it?

Gary
WA9ZZZ