[time-nuts] Is using TAI in Unix/Linux system clocks working in 2019?

Ralph Aichinger ausserirdischesindgesund at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 08:30:46 UTC 2019

Hi!

Another newbie type question: When thinking about how computers represent
time,
TAI would probably be the more logical way to store and do calculations
with time, only including leap seconds when formatting time for human
consumption. Or am I wrong
in this?

There is a CLOCK_TAI on Linux, but what will happen if I use it as my
default clock?
Will stuff break in subtle ways (older programs, whatever)? I've read that
chrony does
not initialize it correctly, which makes me suspect this stuff is not quite
ready for prime
time? Does anyone on this list have Linux systems that are "TAI only", e.g.
writing
their system logs with TAI timestamps, etc.? There are certainly people
keeping all their clock
settings to UTC/GMT even when their local timezone is quite a bit off. Can
the same thing be
done in practice with TAI?

/ralph