[time-nuts] Precision Time Protocol – Windows 10 implementation

Adam Kumiszcza akumiszcza at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 09:22:51 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 7:00 PM David J Taylor via time-nuts <
time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody! My first post here, I hope the subject is adequate for this
> mailing list.
>
> I'm using a tiny layer 1 NTP server consisting of Raspberry Pi 3B+ with
> Ublox MAX-M8Q expansion board providing GNSS (currently GPS, Galileo and
> Glonass, sometimes I switch to Beidou, too) reference with PPS + a simple
> patch antenna hanging near the window. Offset, jitter and rms are most
> often smaller than 1 µs. The server is included in NTP pool.
>
> I'm using several Windows 10 machines on the same LAN, all using NTP client
> software from Meinberg. The typical offset and jitter in those are about
> 100-500 µs. I would like to make it lower.
> []
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
>
> Adam Kumiszcza
>
> Adam,
>
> You could feed the PPS signal to the Windows PCs as one way of making the
> performance better:
>
>   https://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html
>
> Performance:
>
>   https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php#windows-stratum-1
>
> Cheers,
> David

First of all, thank you for the info you put on satsignal.eu org! I've used
some of these in the initial configuration of my server.

By feeding PPS signal to the Windows PC you mean adding cards or connecting
boards (like Sure Electronics GPS evaluation boards) to Windows computers?
My idea was to lower the time offset of machines connected by LAN to a
single stratum-1 server. But maybe I'll come to that later.

Out of your monitored servers on
https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php I am amazed by
performance of LeoNTP box. What do you mean by indoor antenna here?

Best regards,
Adam