[time-nuts] Precision Time Protocol – Windows 10 implementation

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Aug 11 16:10:07 UTC 2019

Adam Kumiszcza writes:
>> The key here is to have some conducting magnetic material under the
>> antenna, not just sitting on its own.
>
> My GPS antenna hangs on the window handle and still gives the good result.
> It's on the south facing window. Unfortunately, in the new location I will
> have access only to west facing window.

You should orient it correctly so that it is facing up, not simply
dangling it from the cable.  GPS antennas are directional.

> Why is it good to have some conducting magnetic material under the antenna?
> Is it to reduce multipath?

The GPS dielectric patch antennas are designed to perform best with a
ground plane.  The optimum size varies a bit, but between 10…14cm in
diameter is about right.  The ground plane does normally not need to
connect to anything, it has to be conductive but not necessarily
magnetic (aluminum foil is OK, too).  If you have a magnetic puck
antenna, then using a magnetic surface has the advantage of the antenna
staying in place more easily, though (try the bottom of a large can of
vegetables).  If you are unsure how large your ground plane really needs
to be, just use one of the programs that visualize the signal strength
on each sat in view and optimize for highest level over the visible part
of the sky, but especially the higher elevations (sats directly above
you).

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: