[time-nuts] Keysight N5511A - phase noise measurements down to theoretical-177 dBm/Hz

ed breya eb at telight.com
Wed Aug 21 06:49:52 UTC 2019

That's quite an impressive system. I guess it's a few generations beyond
my 11729C.

One way to get overall performance to the limits of room temperature kT
noise level, is to lower the T where you work. I wouldn't be surprised
if some parts are TE-cooled, easily affordable in a big budget system.
My first thought was maybe a bunch of stuff in a cryogenic system, but
it looks like most pieces are modules in a rack mainframe, and not in a
special environment. But, within the modules, I could picture some
degree (PTP) of TE-cooling being included, giving some margin on the
capabilities.

Ed