[time-nuts] Keysight N5511A - phase noise measurements down to theoretical-177 dBm/Hz

Gerhard Hoffmann dk4xp at arcor.de
Thu Aug 22 15:04:28 UTC 2019

<      http://www.aholme.co.uk/PhaseNoise/Main.htm      >

I happen to have one of these Xilinx boards, but I don't remember what I
paid for it.

Now Spartan-6 is no longer leading edge, so they should be available
cheaply.

Looks interesting and it's open source.

Enrico Rubiola has written both on the 3-cornered head and the noise in
the Red Pitaya.

Now if he is consequent and merges that... :-)

With 2 Red Pitayas one would have 4 16 bit 115 MSPS ADCs , 2 FPGAs and
Lots of ARM

processing power.  Syncing them is easy.  Just what is needed.

The new 16 bit version of the RP is < €500 IIRC, it should fit the bill
just so.

<     https://www.redpitaya.com/     >

I don't think there is a cheaper solution short of building it yourself,

preferably with flea market stuff. But not much cheaper.

pic:

My experimental setup to measure added phase noise. The delay line

brings anything into quadrature from 4 to 200 MHz. A lot of Nexans 3.5
mm semi rigid

cable, 3 pairs of SP6T SMA relays for coarse, mid and fine,  plus a lot
of patience soldering

the SMA connectors and checking the delays on the TDR. The 24V supply is
still missing.

I did severely underestimate the power hunger of the relays.

regards, Gerhard