[time-nuts] Building a DMTD/phase noise set in the 21st century

Gerhard Hoffmann dk4xp at arcor.de
Sun Aug 25 11:59:15 UTC 2019

Am 25.08.19 um 10:52 schrieb Hal Murray:
> attila at kinali.ch said:
>> As you have always two channels, I would recommend to use two mixers fed with
>> an LO that is 90°C out of phase to get I and Q components.
> How does that compare with running a single channel twice as fast?

At low enough frequencies, the two ways are identical in performance

and linked by the Hilbert transform.

At high enough frequencies, ADC performance starts to suffer. One gets

a smaller "effective number of bits"  ENOB  as sample rate and/or input

frequency rise.

In that region one may gain an advantage by halving the sample rate

at the cost of doubling the hardware and needing a Hilbert transformer,

also known as a wideband 90° phase shifter.  The phase shift

might come cheap, depending on the upstream processing.

One could also time-interleave 2 ADCs or even more. Some ADC chips

do that internally, and some scopes, too.

regards, Gerhard.