[time-nuts] Lowest Power NTP Server

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 1 21:16:13 UTC 2019

On 12/1/19 7:47 AM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>
> If you are going to run the beast on batteries, and talk to it via WiFi, what’s the lowest power
> NTP server you can build? Timing source to keep it under a few ms would have to be included.
> GPS seems to be a reasonable choice.

Have you looked at Arduino? THere might be a NTP server implementation
for Arduino, and in general, Arduinos are lower power. A lot would be
determined by which WiFi interface you use.

Another possibility is the Beaglebone Green Wireless - it has WiFi on
board, ARM processor, etc. and runs Linux. I've run ntpd with a uBlox-7
(I think) GPS receiver on these. Since it doesn't have the HDMI video
interface that the Beagle does, it might be lower power.

I might have some measurements of the green wireless.