[time-nuts] measuring currents on USB powered devices

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 4 16:56:25 UTC 2019

Any recommendations or brickbats for devices that measure the power
drawn by USB powered devices.  I've been using a modified cable that
breaks out the red wire to run to a meter, but it would be nice to have
something that has a ADC and some sort of interface (USB?) that would
make it possible to log the power draw.

I've got a bunch of wireless Beagleboards with GPS receivers and RTL-SDR
pods (to do phased array measurements) and I'm trying to come up with
better power information.

(the recent WiFi NTP low power discussion prompts this).

What would be great is if there were some USB "thru" pod that measured
this and reported the data over a USB interface (recognizing all sorts
of isolation issues that are possible), so I could plug the USB power
"to" the beagle board and the USB power to the RTL-SDR, and log them both.