[time-nuts] 1 pps Accuracy in two locations

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Dec 4 21:52:25 UTC 2019

Many double-frequency GPS receivers have about 2 mm noise in them, that
for the 1,57542 GHz (19 cm) and 1,2276 GHz (24 cm), so about 1/100 of
the wavelength. It is not very strange that you can measure a fraction
of a cycle, this is about 3,6 degrees on a cycle.

So, to get that resolution you do not need to support full cycles in BW.
If so, our 10 MHz reference oscillator counters would only support
resolution of 100 ns, and that used to be the resolution. Improved
counters used higher clocks, such as 100 MHz to get 10 ns resolution.
Since then we learned to interpolate and can accurately resolve phase of
a cycle in the range of 1000 to 10000 today without too much trouble.
The good old trusty 5370A has 256 in interpolation gain, and that from
200 MHz / 5 ns, but you benefit from it as you measure 5 MHz and 10 MHz
signals... so, for 1 ps resolution you do not need THz bandwidth. I have
counters with about 2 ps RMS trigger jitter and resolution of 800 fs and
200 fs, and their BW is just above 1 GHz.

Cheers,
Magnus