[time-nuts] Lowest Power NTP Server

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Dec 5 08:55:29 UTC 2019

kb8tq at n1k.org said:
> However  if the “broadcast” NTP approach was the method of choice, then a
> wake up and do it would work. for. the server.

One of the disadvantages of broadcast is that you don't know what the round
trip time is so you can't use that to filter out quirky cases.

If you get to the point where having the server go to sleep becomes important,
you could have the server send a broadcast after it wakes up and is ready.
The idea is to kick the clients, then have them do the normal client-server
pair.  I don't know of any off-the-shelf NTP software with a hook to do that
when poked.  It wouldn't be hard to add - there is a HUP catcher already.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.