[time-nuts] USB over optical fiber

Scott McGrath scmcgrath at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 13:28:52 UTC 2019

Wow,  cost cutting at work I have the corning one but its 3 years old Remember when FCC certification meant something for EMC

> On Dec 6, 2019, at 3:21 PM, David Van Horn <david.vanhorn at backcountryaccess.com> wrote:

Well, it arrived, and it is NOISY.  ☹
It's pushing out longitudinal noise along the cable, and it's deafening my receiver.

After doing some research this morning, it appears that they do the DATA optically but power is taken on copper wires, and I'm betting a boost switcher to compensate for the voltage drop in the 28 ga wire.

https://www.corning.com/microsites/coc/ocbc/Documents/CNT-075-AEN.pdf

I have another candidate arriving today which will require a 5V supply inside the cage, but I can do that with batteries and a linear regulator, much quieter.

--
David VanHorn
Lead Hardware Engineer

Backcountry Access, Inc.