[time-nuts] 88Sr+ ion-clock live stream

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Dec 9 01:30:23 UTC 2019

Magnus,

 > The mf values of +3, +2, +1, -1, -2, -3 transitions have a relatively
 > strong sensitivity to magnetic field, with a strong linear term on the
 > magnetic field strength, where as the 0 transition has a much weaker
 > quadratic sensitivity, assuming weak magnetic field which is fair
 > assumption.

You can see this dramatically by turning the cfield adjustment from min
to max:

http://leapsecond.com/pages/cfield/

 > This is true for any atomic transition, so it is not unique
 > to Cesium. Cesium has however the second weakest (of classical neutral
 > atom microwave frequency, only Thallium being better) magnetic
 > sensitivity for it's hyper-fine transition.

Some late night reading about Thallium:

1957, Kusch
"Precision Atomic Beam Techniques"
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1536252
kusch1957.pdf

1960, Mockler, Beehler, Snider
"Atomic Beam Frequency Standards"
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.846.7115&rep=rep1&type=pdf

1963, Beehler, Glaze
"Experimental Evaluation of a Thallium Beam Frequency Standard"
https://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/211.pdf

1966, Beehler, Glaze
"Evaluation of a Thallium Atomic Beam Frequency Standard at the National
Bureau of Standards"
https://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/9.pdf

1983, Ramsey
"History of Atomic Clocks"
https://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/1916.pdf
https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/088/jresv88n5p301_A1b.pdf

 > Even with cesium, you can
 > tweak the frequency of transition with the change of the magnetic field
 > (B-field in the lingo). All such cesium clocks is really secondary
 > standards, even if marketing have been boasting their contribution a lot.

Not sure what make/model cesium clock you're talking about here. Just
because there are knobs to tweak doesn't demote them to secondary.

/tvb