[time-nuts] Power supply for time source concerns

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Dec 23 13:42:42 UTC 2019

Hi

If you dig into the app notes on the LT304x parts after a lot of extolling the
wonders and virtues, they eventually get into magnetic coupling between the
“upstream” and “downstream” bypass components. Taking care of that with
proper layout is possible, but non-trivial.

Is milivolts of noise “ok”? Maybe it is. There are a lot of devices out there that
run with 10’s of milivolts of noise on the supply line. Do you need <100uV p-p
over 10KHz to 100 MHz? There are devices that do. If that’s what you need,
it’s going to be a struggle. There is no one single “good enough” number.

The power supply world still stops at pretty low frequencies. Very common IC’s
these days are quite happy to produce crud at the “many GHz” level. There are
a few folks who carry around cell phones that put out signals up there as well.
Regulator IC’s will only do part of the job, filtering in one form or the other (likely
several forms) is still needed.

Past that system layout begins to get into the act. You can spend a couple of fun
weeks in intro level classes on this sort of stuff. You can be the prof presenting the
class and pretty quickly get to “that would require some research” as the answer
to this or that seemingly basic question. It’s not in any way a trivial topic.

So what to do?

Bottom line is still that test equipment is your friend. Spectrum analyzers that cover
a wide range of frequencies (and have good sensitivity) *are* part of the “kit” that
allows you to keep things quiet. You can only go just so far ( = not very far) before
you are into the “verify” stage of things. Indeed sound cards and SDR’s can collect
some of this data so there *are* a range of tools you can use.

Checking cabling / grounding / cross talk is very much part of setting up any RF
bench. It always has been. Tracking down that stupid whatever on the other side
of the room that is putting out a ton of noise *is* part of the drill. Repeating the
process from time to time also is part of the fun. Looking at the data you collect to
spot “strange” stuff *is* part of the deal …… There is work involved and you need
to understand what you are doing.

Bob