[time-nuts] PC Time Servers

Eamonn Nugent en4614 at bard.edu
Tue Dec 31 02:58:03 UTC 2019

Hiya!

My first contribution to the list, maybe I can be useful in my software dev ways.

Localhost is your computer. On all computers, the name “localhost” is used as the name to “loop back” (it’s actually called the loop-back address) to the same computer. So, when you query localhost, you’re querying yourself. As to the application that serves that data, it is likely either Windows time service, ntpd on Linux, or Faros itself.

38ms or latency is fairly typical for over-the-Internet routing. A rough way of telling the latency between two locations is to take the distance, divide it by the speed of light, and then multiply it by two because of all the hardware in between that switches the signals.

Hope this helped, feel free to email back if you have any more questions or I can answer further!

Thanks,
Eamonn

Sent from my iPhone