[time-nuts] Noisy clocks [Was: Atomic Clocks]

Bill Hawkins bill.iaxs at pobox.com
Sat Jan 5 03:54:45 UTC 2019

Well, your first clue should be the heavy box that contains the hardware.  Don't recall any other HP gear built that way. The box could have been an aluminum casting.

I had two of them with about the same noise, many years ago (but not new).  I used standard fiberglass wall insulation to line a wooden cabinet that also contained the 103 crystal standard. That made the noise bearable and kept the 103 temperature stable.  Of course, you had to open the front insulated door to see the clock.

Never found out if it was the 1 KC stepper motor or the gearbox making the noise.  Should have tried heavy grease on the motor gears, but that would make a mess of the chassis.  Too late now.

Bill Hawkins