[time-nuts] Rooftop antenna and splitter

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Tue Jan 29 20:29:20 UTC 2019

Hal Murray writes:
> kb8tq-WYFaD0z3Idg at public.gmane.org said:
>> The first one is designed to mount on a ground plane (which is fine if it is
>> going  on a truck or airplane).
>
> How big a ground plane do they need?  I'm thinking of a sheet of aluminum.

Typically if they already have a ground plane mounted it's between
6cm…10cm in diameter (or side length if quadratic).  Over that size you
shouldn't see much effect anymore on the antenna sensitivity pattern,
below that size you sometimes get a slight uplifting of the elevation
response.  I typically use the lid of a large enough can if I quickly
need a circular ground plane, but a piece of aluminum foil just almost
as well, too (wrap it around a piece of cardboard or plywood if you need
structural stability).

Regards,
Achim.