[time-nuts] 60 Hz frequency and phase measurement

Bob Albert bob91343 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 3 05:09:32 UTC 2019

 I have tried to measure the power line frequency with spotty success.  My best results came from a period measurement, as many periods as the counter can accumulate.  Due to noise, one is never sure at quite what point the source is measured.  Perhaps a brick wall filter would clean it up for a more reliable measurement.
Of course, at 60 Hz the period is 16-2/3 milliseconds.  So the counter should properly show a 1 followed by a row of 6s, with the last digit bouncing between 6 and 7 most of the time.
If there is a filter used, it will not only remove noise but also short term variations.  But generatlly speaking you don't want to measure those, unless you are trying to evaluate a rotary generator.
Getting this reading can be a challenge.
    On Tuesday, July 2, 2019, 10:01:03 PM PDT, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

 On 7/2/19 4:09 PM, Dana Whitlow wrote:
> I've always noted that casual attempts to pick up 60 Hz with small antennas
> etc see more harmonics and other trash than actual line frequency.  But if
> you're in an office environment, why not plug something in?  It's quite easy
> to build a simple passive diode clipper/filter that will plug into a wall
> outlet and
> which will provide a sort of soft (but clean) squarewave at a voltage level
> convenient for lab instruments and with good protection against big spikes
> and
> other trash riding on the line.

Safety approvals are one obstacle (of course one could use a AC wall wart).

Actually, it's because someone asked me about a science experiment where
you'd place them in a neighborhood outdoors.