[time-nuts] Aerial coax downlead placement

Gerhard Hoffmann dk4xp at arcor.de
Thu Jul 4 21:57:12 UTC 2019

Am 04.07.19 um 22:43 schrieb Peter Vince:
> Hello all,
>
>       A new contact, whose background is in computer programming rather than
> RF, is getting into accurate GPS positioning, and has been tapping me for
> any knowledge I might have.  I persuaded him to get the new Ublox F9P
> receiver and also a "proper" dual-band antenna - albeit from China, so
> affordable!  This seems to be going quite well, and he sent a photo today.
> He has mounted said aerial on what looks like a six-foot pole which is
> good, but currently the coax down-lead is just hanging - flopping about in
> the breeze.  Now that is bad for so many reasons :-)

I cannot think of a single good reason against putting the coax line

into the pole. In fact, my rocket-shaped Datum antenna leaves me no

other choice. Its plastic case has a ~ 1 1/4" thread that happily fits on a

water pipe and the N connector is concentric to that; so the cable MUST

go through the pole, at least initially. I think that is good also in
case of

a thunderbolt hit; the tube will carry most of the current and lead it
to earth.

That won't help the antenna, but maybe me in the lab.

And it is the only true symmetrical solution.

That rocket-shaped antenna spawns a lot of interest amongst my neighbors.

:-) Gerhard