[time-nuts] E1938A source code/ firmware

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jul 6 23:44:30 UTC 2019

Hi

The gotcha with averaging multiple GPS modules is that there are a lot of common mode
issues present. The averaging will help with the random noise stuff, but will not do much for
the atmosphere, ephemeris, and other “external” limits. Unfortunately those limits are pretty
significant contributors.

More or less:

Sawtooth you can (and should) take care of with the correction information from the module.
No need to average there.

Random “I pick this / you pick that” stuff as constellations change will average out. ( = different
signal to noise numbers will be present in the voting process on each module). You can see
nanosecond level bumps from this. Since they are transient, exactly how much they contribute
to a long term average is debatable.

Ionosphere modeling errors will be the same for any rational group of modules running on the
same system in the same area. The same is true of troposphere related issues. These can
(but don’t always) get into the 10’s of nanosecond range. They can last long enough to pass
through normal long averaging filters.

The solutions are based on orbit and clock data broadcast in the ephemeris. Both can be off
by nanoseconds. Again, they are long term so they pas through averaging filters.

Probably better to focus on an ensemble of OCXO’s to lower the “local” noise floor:

As you sum independent devices, it is reasonable to expect things like ADEV to improve by
the square root of the number of devices. One limit to this is (as mentioned above) common
mode issues. With OCXO’s temperature would be a common mode item. Controlling or correcting
it would be a good idea.

A group of 4 OCXO’s in some sort of controlled enclosure could indeed be 2X better than a
single OCXO. Going up to 16 might get you 4X better. That range probably covers the range
(even at eBay prices) that one would be working in. Improvements of this sort have been demonstrated
in various (expensive)  systems.

The same principle would apply to things like telecom Rb’s, but at a bit higher price. I do not know
of any commercial system doing that.

Bob