[time-nuts] A Research Proposal

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jul 7 10:16:00 UTC 2019

> Within a given power distribution grid, several observers as widely separated
> geographically as possible, time stamp the first two zero crossings of the
> power line after each UTC second –over the course of 24 hours (86,400 pairs
> of data).

Life is more complicated than that.  There is a race condition when a zero
crossing happens close to the second tick.  Did it happen before or after?

You might be able to dance around that by taking 3 samples if the first one is closer than X ms to the second tick and sort it out with post processing.  I think your data stations will need to be located close enough together.

You probably also have an issue with 3 phase.  Are you measuring stations all on the same phase?  There is another factor of 2 from flipping the output leads of the transformer or plugging into the other side of the 110/220.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.