[time-nuts] Switching 1 pps signal

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jul 7 16:07:07 UTC 2019

Hi

As far as the coax goes, termination is a good idea. As far as the signal goes … maybe not so much ….

Using 5V logic as an example:

If you build up a driver that has a 50 ohm source impedance, you have a (so far) do-able project. The
output delivered into a light load could be the same as the driving voltage. Simply put, a 5V driver will
deliver a 5V signal.

If the driver is built just to drive a 50 ohm load, you can still get 5V into the load off of a 5V driver. The
output impedance will very much *not* be 50 ohms in this case.

The textbook case is to have both ends of the cable properly terminated. You now have a 50 ohm driver
and a 50 ohm load. Your 5V signal at the driver end is a 2.5V signal at the load. If you are after 5V
at the load, you need a 10V driver.

Logic gets picky about levels. If it’s 5V logic, it may or may not be very happy with a 2.5V “logic high”
signal. The edge rate will (probably) max out around 1.25V which again may or may not be what you
are after.

The next issue is that with a 10V drive, an un-terminated device gets 10V. There is a lot of gear out
there that is in the “damage” range at this sort of voltage. Indeed, you can get into these issues on
gear that was new back in the 1970’s.  Indeed there is gear that 5V will nuke ….

So what to do …..

The most practical approach is to source terminate only. As mentioned in other posts, this may not
be ideal for isolation.

Another practical solution is to simply treat these as logic signals and use gates to switch them. If
your sources are things like GPS modules, Cs standards, or GPSDO’s, that is usually an acceptable
approach. If you are running a Hydrogen Maser …. maybe not.

The “why” depends a bit on how much the “couple of picoseconds” wobble in the high speed gate
bothers you. A lot of devices are noisy enough that their noise will be way more than that . Indeed
logic families vary in terms of jitter so you need to be a bit careful about what you use for what.

Bob