[time-nuts] A Research Proposal

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 7 21:39:14 UTC 2019

On 7/7/19 11:48 AM, Bill Hawkins wrote:
> Group,
>
> We've discussed this before, but maybe it needs to be said again.
>
> Line frequency is not constant.

I think the research is more about understanding the frequency and time
shifts across the network, referred to a more accurate and stable
reference.  Not so much trying to use the grid as a time/frequency
reference.

For instance, is the variation in phase across the San Fernando Valley
different in the afternoon when everyone turns on their air conditioner
- sure there's a "voltage at the user" change, but is there also a phase
change.