[time-nuts] A Research Proposal

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Jul 8 12:19:49 UTC 2019

 > I hope some will accept the technical challenge of gathering data --
which is fairly minimal.

Andy,

It may have been before you joined time-nuts, but some years ago we
compared mains phase/frequency between Albuquerque, NM and Seattle, WA,
which in spite of being some 1500 miles apart are on the same grid.
Another test was between two nearby locations, Bellevue, WA and Redmond,
WA. All data was taken by timing zero-crossings to the microsecond with
a picPET. You'll find the results fascinating:

http://leapsecond.com/pages/mains-cv/

I'm happy to repeat any of this analysis using recent data from Hal
(CA), and you (Bellingham, WA), and me (Bellevue, WA).

A third test which is interesting is comparing independent mains
phase/frequency between different rooms of the same house. In general
you want to understand local house effects, then neighborhood effects,
then city / country effects before you jump into interstate grid
effects. It's similar to establishing baselines and noise floors when
you make precision clock measurements.

/tvb