[time-nuts] verifying synchronization with PPS

Graham / KE9H ke9h.graham at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 14:59:52 UTC 2019

Several comments:

What level of accuracy do you mean by "synchronized"?

Plotting a lightly loaded Linux box, which is extracting time from the
network via timesyncd, against a GPS 1PPS signal, I observe typical time
excursions within +/- 10 ms, and extreme excursions over a 24 hour period
of up to 20 ms.

So, I would not count on network based time on a Linux box to be better
than +/- 20 ms, probably worse with heavy loading of the OS.

A simple navigation GPS receiver PPS output, without any additional
corrections can provide accuracy of less than 0.1 microsecond.

The owner of this list has designed an excellent dual input timing device
called the TICC, which can compare two PPS signals with resolution of 8 or
9 decimal places, for projects like this.

https://tapr.org/kits_ticc.html

--- Graham

==