[time-nuts] Advantages of GNSS ???

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jul 8 18:48:42 UTC 2019

Hi

Whatever they are doing to create an output is being done modulo the internal TCXO period.
That gets you down to a +/- 4 ns error on either the F9T or the F9P.  They can do that however
often they like, it’s still a very coarse correction as far as I’m concerned.

What matters is how often they come up with the data to tell you how far off from reality that magic
edge *is* in reality. They do that to well under a nanosecond, both on the F9T and the F9P. That
update info only is calculated / supplied once a second. This information *plus* the edge is (at lest to
me) the only source of accurate time out of the device. It’s at least 10X better than what you get
without the correction

If indeed you *do* configure to let them modify the TCXO <-> pulse output at a greater rate than
once a second, the connection between the sawtooth correction data and the actual pulse becomes
a bit obscure. Only one edge has data for it. The rest have an offset of “who knows what”.  Having a
bunch of “unknown” edges in with one accurate one seems like a route to confusion.

This all gets right back to the recommendation that I quoted about running the pulse rate at 1 pps
for precision use. There are similar notes in similar documents going back at least to the LEA-5T
era of modules. Are any of them 100% clear - nope. You have to either call up and ask “what does
this really mean?” or guess a bit.

Is this a knock of some sort on uBlox? Certainly not. No document ever written is ever going to be
perfect. They are not the only outfit doing this (one second calculation of error). They aren’t any
worse at explaining it than the other guys. They all do a pretty good job of describing what’s going
on face to face.

Bob