[time-nuts] LT3042, etc. Re: HP E1938A schematics.

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Jul 8 23:53:29 UTC 2019

On 7/8/2019 11:09 AM, jimlux wrote:

> Not only are they low noise, but they have spectacularly good HF
> rejection across the regulator up to 10s of MHz.

In the 5071A, I wanted high bandwidth PSRR and stumbled across
a designer's manual (HP internal document) for the MMS Modular
Measurement System.  They described a regulator with a common base
pass transistor and an op amp, with a bandwidth approaching 1 MHz.
Quite state of the art for the time.  I copied the design in several
5071A modules.  We used it to regulate +5V from the Vicor modules down
to +4.5V working voltage for 100 series ECL or analog.  It worked quite
well.  Now I could replace it with an LT3065.

Rick N6RK