[time-nuts] It is possible to "recharge" a hydrogen maser?

cdelect at juno.com cdelect at juno.com
Tue Jul 9 14:57:53 UTC 2019

Luiz,
Ch1-75 Hydrogen storage details.
 “The compound LaNi5H, is used for storing molecular hydrogen.
The LaHi5H, is characterized by high hydrogen partial pressure (2 to 5
atmospheres) at +(20-50) degrees C.
250 grams of the compound contains 18 liters of hydrogen at normal
pressure.
It is sufficient for maser continuous operation for more than 40 000
hours.”
 I believe that the container holding the LaHi5H is heated and
thermostatically controlled to maintain the proper pressure into the
purifier.
 First you should be able to power up the maser just far enough so that
the ion pumps can operate. Monitor their current and it should drop down
to almost zero within a few hours. If not you may need to get the ion
pumps rebuilt.
There are commercial outfits that can rebuild them but if there are not
isolation valves to close and isolate the Maser when you remove the ion
pumps you will not be able to proceed! Since the Russian Masers also use
a getter pump in concert with the ion pumps, opening up the vacuum system
will contaminate the getter pump. The process of clearing the getter is
very detailed and involves temperatures of up to 800 degrees C, and
without careful instructions on how to do it you risk damaging other
portions of the Maser!
 If the pressure does drop down, then you need to determine if there is
any Hydrogen left. I know that some Russian Masers will give you an alarm
that tells you if you are out, and some have a mechanical pressure gage,
but I’m not sure about the CH1-75. You will need to check the manuals. If
it does not provide an alarm or have a gage then see if the HFO
oscillator is working and if the discharge bulb is lighting up. If it
lights up you are not out of Hydrogen!
If it does not light and you have determined that the  lack of Hydrogen
is indeed the problem you will need to locate the LaHi5H container. After
you locate it make sure it is being heated, this could cause an apparent
lack of Hydrogen!   Then see how it is connected to the discharge bulb.
Hopefully it will be a threaded connection. This connection is on the
high pressure side of the purifier and can be removed without
compromising the vacuum. You will need to remove the container and
recharge it.  I would instead replace it with a small compressed hydrogen
cylinder and regulators.
 Use ultra-high purity dry Hydrogen and make sure you purge the line
going to the purifier. The purifier will block other gases from getting
into the Maser but in the process too much “foreign” gas can contaminate
and damage the purifier!
 Once you manage to locate the container some pictures on where it’s
hiding would be nice!
 Good luck with your efforts!
 Cheers,
 Corby Dawson