[time-nuts] Advantages of GNSS ???

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 00:05:23 UTC 2019

That is the dirty little secret of crystals. Manufacturers will test the
temperature response in one direction, but if you heat and then cool
crystals and measure the frequency, they do exhibit significant hysteresis.
I've not been able to get a supplier of TCXOs for me to characterize this
as I don't buy enough. I just have to test them myself and toss the 10% or
so that don't meet their specs due to the hysteresis. If you cycle the
temperature up and down multiple times, the effect lessens, but after
letting them sit for a while, it comes back. I also saw jumps at particular
temperatures, but that may be due to the TCXO compensation.

Mark