[time-nuts] Advantages of GNSS ???

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jul 10 00:25:00 UTC 2019

Hi

Well, if you ever get back into it:

You play games with varicap diodes to straighten out the curve. You may bias them, you might
put them in parallel, you might put a coil or a cap across them. You can get the curve plenty flat
enough for a control loop.

Hopping / discrete steps generally means you have to much drive on the crystal or some other
circuit gotcha. The crystal its self and the tuning diode have no steps in them. They just aren’t
complex enough devices to get into stepwise behavior.

Drive power on an OCXO will pretty much always be below a milli-watt. A typical design will be in
the range of 1/10 to 1/100 of that power level.

Bob