[time-nuts] Neural net to control oven temperature ?

Chase Turner seapeatea at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 02:23:21 UTC 2019

Hi Glen,

This is actually something I know a little about.

Neural nets are most useful for feature selection, that is, finding the
important x that is a function of y, in a very large sea of x variables. In
this case, we already know what's important, which is temperature
stability. So, a neural net would be a bit much when we already know what
feature is important for function. Additionally, unless I'm mistaken, oven
control is probably a linear relationship of some sort or another, and
neural nets are much better suited for examining and revealing insights
about non-linear data.

If you have a method by which you can collect the necessary data that has a
bearing on the oven functionality, you'd probably be better off training a
logistic classifier, and using it instead. That said, both methods would be
overkill, imo- I'd use a PID instead.

Best,
Chase