[time-nuts] Used Hydrogen Maser

Ole Petter Ronningen opronningen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 13:03:15 UTC 2019

Asked and answered before I think, but as far as I know a new maser is in
the 2-300K euro range, a used one you can perhaps expect to pay about a
tenth of that - if you can find one. Not that many around, but some of the
older ones on VLBI sites are getting a bit long in the tooth. If you are
serious, I would contact the manufacturers and signal interest - perhaps
they can broker a deal when they replace an old one. Keep in mind theres
usually a reason they get replaced..

Long term cost are not insignificant, ion pumps cost a bit (a few hundred
dollars a year, say), and you need some equipment to change them, unless
you can borrow it. Ultra high vacuum pumps and high voltage powersupplies.
Then there is the cost for electricity, and temperature control etc.
Depending on the type, hydrogen cartridges are pricey, ultra pure H2 in a
bottlenless so, but still. Probably more I forgot..

Ole